Cloud Operations Engineer
Cloud Operations Engineer
AMPD is a next-generation infrastructure company specialising in providing high-performance computing solutions for low-latency applications. With state-of-the-art, high-performance computing solutions hosted in sustainable urban data centres, AMPD is leading the transition to the next generation of computing infrastructure as ‘the hosting company of the Metaverse.’ Through AMPD’s high-performance cloud offering, we are meeting the low-latency requirements of multiplayer video games and eSports, computer graphics rendering, artificial intelligence, machine learning, mixed reality, big data processing, and the as-yet uncharted technological developments of the coming decades. Additional information about the company is available on our website at https://www.ampd.tech.
The challenge ahead:
As AMPD Technologies’ newest Cloud Operations Engineer, you will support and optimise OpenStack deployments around the globe. You’ll participate in creating, deploying and scaling our cloud infrastructure for different teams while also contributing to the execution of various projects and acting as high-level support for the platforms (including occasional off-hours support).
Why you’re a great fit for our NOC Team:
You’ve got a great sense of priority and initiative to manage multiple tasks and projects, ensuring our overall infrastructure is in good health while understanding what elements contribute to a critical and priority issue and what can be completed in time.
You believe in clear and consistent documentation to give your team the information they need to manage their roles, and ensure that processes and systems have clarity for all supporting parties.
You are tapped into industry trends and best practices - you follow thought leaders, continually read and attend events to gain new knowledge and implement new practices into our data centre to optimise and streamline operations.
You believe in great service to give our clients near and far the attention, communication, and support the need to resolve issues quickly and with sustainable and long-term solutions.
What you’ll accomplish as a Cloud Operations Engineer:
- Solving complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices
- Working with your team to invent, design, and build systems that are stable and efficient
- Considering the legacy of the systems you produce, how they will scale, and limit the use of short-term workarounds. Making appropriate trade-offs, re-using where possible, and are judicious about introducing dependencies
- Identifying patterns that affect the performance, reliability, or availability of a product or service and driving them out of the system through automation or other technical innovation
- Resolving the root cause of complex problems, leaving systems better and easier to maintain
- Identifying and implementing technologies to make our cloud more robust and supportable
- Maintaining and operating the Private Cloud platforms (Openstack/KVM) with an emphasis on security, using documented, automated installation and support procedures
- Conducting virtual infrastructure capacity to forecast health assessments and improve resource allocation on the virtual platform by proposing various usage optimizations
- Performing system & application patching, upgrading firmware and monitoring system events to ensure health, maximum system availability and service quality
- Maintaining documentation regarding configurations, operations and troubleshooting procedures related to the Cloud platforms
- Answering user’s query and service requests
Other important responsibilities:
- Technical Writing: Creation and maintenance of troubleshooting and operational documentation for all systems under management.
- Provides and receives cross-discipline training in order to ensure maximum availability of systems under management.
- Communicates effectively verbally, and in written form.
- Carries and responds to an off-hours communications device, in order to assist in providing 24x7 support for systems under management.
- Actively pursues opportunities, as an individual and as part of a group, to improve knowledge, tools and processes for systems under management.
- Responsible for maintaining and enforcing confidentiality and privacy rules pursuant to all applicable regulations.
Your track record will include:
- Minimum five years of experience in Linux system administration, with at least two years involving data centres;
- Experience with virtualization, storage and networking technology
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Prometheus
- In-depth understanding of Openstack and KVM
- General knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server / Active Directory
- In-depth understanding of object storage (Swift) is an asset
- In-depth understanding of Configuration Management systems like Chef & Puppet & Ansible is an asset
- Knowledge about container and virtual technologies like Docker and Kubernetes containers or distributed storage systems an asset
- Capacity to troubleshoot unprecedented problems or situations
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and make complex information accessible
Location: Our offices are located in Vancouver, BC. We are open to considering remote or hybrid work.
To apply, please send your resume with the subject line: “Cloud Operations Engineer” hcet.dpma@sboj.
AMPD is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.